Make your own baby wipes and save money!
Today I am going to show you how to make your own baby wipes solution. It’s super simple, works for cloth or disposable wipes, and can save you…tens of dollars every month.
Hey, saving is saving, right?
I hate buying anything I know I can make myself. Even better than saving money–I can control the ingredients, and ensure a safe end product.
You can tweak this recipe to suit your needs and taste (in consistency/smell–don’t actually taste it. That’s just gross. Don’t be gross). So long as you follow some basic guidelines, and don’t add things like old potpourri oil from your grandmother’s house or something, this recipe is pretty forgiving.
Wipes need not be complicated.
Or smell like Christmastime at Grandma’s house.
DIY baby wipes recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp avocado oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1/8 tsp natural baby soap
- a couple drops of baby skin-safe essential oil (optional)*
- a couple drops of liquid lanolin (optional)
*please use essential oils sparingly, and do your research or consult an expert before use. I sometimes use a couple drops of lavender, but most others irritate my babe’s skin.
- 1 jar or other container with lid
- cloth wipes (if using cloth)
- 1 roll of paper towels (this will make a few batches of disposable wipes depending on container size)
Directions for wipes solution:
- pour all of the ingredients into your vessel of choice
- crank up your favorite song, and dance around the kitchen while shaking the mixture (make sure the lid’s on, or the next step will be to mop)
- put your wipes into the container to soak up the solution
Directions for making the disposable wipes:
- place your paper towel roll on a cutting board (make sure it’s clean so your baby’s butt doesn’t end up smelling like onions)
- take a long sharp serrated knife (a bread knife works pretty well) and saw through the middle so that you end up with 2 rolls (you could skip this step if you want to rip apart the towels and lay them in a wipes container–I just like how the roll dispenses so easily)
- take one roll and put it away for later
- take the end of the other roll and begin to roll it up into a smaller tighter roll. stop when it is still small enough to fit in your jar or container
- put it in the jar, and pull out the middle towel–once it is out, they should be easy to pull out one at a time by ripping it over the edge of the container (I’ll post a video later)
- repeat steps 4 and 5 when you run out
Directions for cloth wipes:
- put the cloth wipes in the jar
- put the solution in a jar, and dip cloth wipes in solution as needed for poop-cleaning
- put the solution in a spray bottle and torture your baby by spraying their butt with cold-ass water, then wipe. (you could probably spray the wipe instead, but where’s the fun in that)
So there you have it–easy peasy baby wipes for pennies!
Do you have a favorite baby wipes recipe or method? Tell us all in the coments below!